Monday, July 8, 2013

Carpe Diem vs. The Future

An oncologist advises his stage four patients to 'Carpe Diem' or 'Seize the Day'. This is good advice for anyone: don't just sit there, do something. Or get off your butt or any of a multitude of other definitions.

I like an optimistic oncologist. I am going to see mine today and don't expect any real doom and gloom. Optimism is always good but the patient's thoughts need to be considered as well. The oncologist thinks the patient is doing well as they cope with cancer treatment but at stage IV its not a disease that is going to go away and will in fact eventually probably do them in. The future takes a different tone.

An early bird does catch the worm because life isn't coming to you if you don't make the most of it. I try to make the most of my life. I really do. I mean sometimes I can be the biggest procrastinator and firmly believe the road to hell is paved with good intentions. But I do try to take advantage of life and do what makes me feel best.


Then throw in a stage four, or any cancer diagnosis, and the future always looks a little bit different than before. And the silly questions, if I have cancer why am I saving for retirement? Or will I be here to trade in my suburban sedan in a few more years, or should I start using it for off road adventures? Is it time to write and complete my bucket list?

Once you receive that cancer diagnosis, you get an oncologist. Once you meet your oncologist, they need to be optimistic. So carpe diem. And look to the future.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...