Monday, June 27, 2016

There's Napping, and Then There's Napping

The best semester that I had in college was one when I managed to nap every afternoon. That way I could get up and go to class in the morning, come home and nap, and then study before going out again at 10 pm. I was young but I did get good grades and had a great social life. That is the most napping I have done in my life, until now.

As a rule, these days I try not to nap too much because if I nap, I probably will not sleep as well that night. I prefer just to get my 10 hours of sleep together. However, sometimes when I can't keep my eyes open, I am forced to nap. Or I just nap where I am because I am so tired, I can't move.

There is a difference between fatigue from my ailments and unbending urge to lie down and shut my eyes for a bit. With fatigue, I usually can function enough to lie in bed and read a book.

Yesterday I was fine until about 5 pm when I got too tired to knit and watch TV. That means I was really tired. I got in bed and fell asleep for a solid 1 hour 45 minutes. But then I was up until after 11 because of that nap. I didn't think I got too little sleep the night before but maybe I didn't get enough sleep.

When is napping too much? In the past ten days, I probably have gotten in four 2 hour naps. Is that too much sleep? I don't know. I do feel rested when I get enough sleep. 

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Hi Caroline! I noticed your blog and I greatly appreciate the stories you are willing to share with others. My name is Ryan and I’m currently a student at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI working on a project called CancerEd. My team and I are developing curriculum materials to teach children about cancer in an interactive but scientifically accurate way. We are looking to send out a survey to parents who have had cancer to better understand how they communicate with their children about cancer and we would love your help with this! If you could email me at rdt5@students.calvin.edu, I would love to give you more information about the survey and about our project. Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...