Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy thanksgiving and adventures in pie making!

No I am not over doing it. I got up early and decided to make my apple pie. The pecan and pumpkin pies are all done and sitting in the fridge. Walter had cut up the apples and they were soaking in lemon water over night. the pie crusts were defrosted so all I had to do was throw the pie together. Well, I didn't want to wait for 15 minutes to bring the pie crusts to room temperature so, per the instructions on the box, I microwaved them for 20 seconds each. DO NOT TRY THIS! It makes them gooey and they stick together. The bottom crust I simply gave up on and mushed it into a lump and rolled it out again. The top crust I put back in the fridge for a few minutes and got it half unrolled before it stuck together. So I rolled it out the rest of the way into a squarish shape and decided it was time to make a lattice top pie instead of struggling to roll the crust into a perfect circle. Now I have a interesting (read that as barely woven together, uneven strips, lots of little pieces strung together) lattice weave on the top of my yummy apple pie in the oven. All before 8am. Grrr...

Now on to happier things. Walter is sleeping late. I am going for a walk and then promise to take it easy for several hours so I can interact with other family members like the normal (yes I really am normal some of the time) person that I am. I will probably be exhausted later but I will not cook or clean (and definitely not wash dishes). If I do get exhausted my mother reminded me that she has a new hospital type bed at home that I could try out. Its the kind where you can make your feet and head go up and down. Its good for her arthritis. At least I will need to take it for a test drive.

Anyhow, yesterday went okay. They were running behind schedule so we didn't get out until after 11, which was to be expected. then I came home and had lunch - soup and cheese and crackers. I can always eat like a pig after chemo. They give me a steroid which makes me hungry (could come in handy today). Then I made the pecan pie and went for a walk while my sous-chef (Walter) supervised it and reduced the oven temperature as needed. After that I made my pumpkin pie. Part A of pie making was stress free.

We watched the animated version of the Jungle Book, courtesy of Netflix. Walter says he had never seen it before and I don't think I have seen it since I was little. I think I prefer the 1994 version better, which is not out on DVD yet per Netflix so this could be a very long wait. We had oh so nutritional Chinese food delivered for dinner. Yes, I know Chinese food can be nutritional but then you have to order the things that aren't deep fried. Needless to say we tried the Great Wok here in town and it was quite yummy. They advertise healthy MSG free cooking and they brought it to us. We will probably order from them again.

9 down 3 to go. (I forgot to update my little count last week so was all confused when I went yesterday. The nurse looked it up and reminded me it was number 9.) Now I think I am going through the Rockies and getting ready for the trip down hill to the Pacific...

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...