Sunday, November 11, 2007

Today being overly ambitious

I wanted to plant the last of my bulbs (read Walter is home and available to help) and the damn ground is FROZEN!!! We have to wait until it thaws. I hope this is later today and not in April. I still have to dig up my dahlias and glads as well (read that as Walter will dig them up).

I also trimmed back my dead plants outside (the inside ones are fine thank you.) and started forcing freesia inside again so they will bloom in January. Generally I started getting the garden ready for winter. Now I need a little break. Only 1/2 an hour and its snooze time. The cat is patiently waiting for me to finish typing by sitting on my lap. He doesn't understand this slows me down. Then we are going out for a fancy brunch where I will have bacon. For some reason I am dying for some bacon. Don't ask me why. Maybe its some weird side effect. We wanted to do something fun and go out to eat. Going out at night doesn't work. I am too tired, so brunch it is.

Otherwise in general I am okay. Tired. Little bits of tingling in my hands. My fingernails look like they might fall off sometime. (Yucky).

Just because I want to share, here is my carrot cake recipe that I made yesterday and actually got from a friend in 1990. Its just as good now as it was then.

Carrot Cake

1/2 c oil
2 c sugar
4 eggs
2 c flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained, less 3 oz.
3 c raw grated carrots
1 c raisins
1 c chopped walnuts

Mix oil, sugar, eggs together. Add flour, spices, soda, baking powder, salt, mix well. Add vanilla, pineapple, carrots, raisins, and nuts. Bake in greased tube pan or 13 x 9 pan at 375 for 55-60 minutes (tube) or 40 minutes (13x 9)

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg (3 oz) cream cheese
2 c confectioners sugar (or more)
1/2 stick margarine
dash of vanilla
3 oz crushed pineapple
1/3 c minced nuts

Blend cream cheese, butter. Start adding sugar until consistency is smooth. Add vanilla and pineapple. Top with nuts.

Notes: I used 1/2 cup apple sauce instead of the oil. I did not put the 3 oz pineapple in the frosting.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...