Friday, November 16, 2007

I have chemo brain, what's your excuse?

Chemo brain is a known side effect of chemo. Also, known as being a space shot. It is a limited short term memory but also you can't remember the words for things etc. Examples are:
  • walking into a room to get something three times before you remember what it was.
  • leaving the stove on for two hours after dinner is cooking.
  • leaving the water boiling on the stove for tea for over an hour.
  • remembering one additional item to get at the store on the way there, being asked by spouse did you buy it, and realizing you didn't after you have been home for three hours.
  • meaning for about three weeks to take your car into the garage for an oil change and just forgetting to do it.
Now I have an excuse for this. I am such a space shot these days. However now I have an excuse that I can blame it on. A good benefit of chemo (aside from killing off all those nasty cancer cells.)

Anyhow, yesterday went fine. I had a nice nap during chemo. I talked to the doctor about managing fatigue. He said I am doing the right things by just going out less but also by getting exercise regularly (and you thought I was a fool for going for my daily walks during chemo!) The end is coming into sight. He did mention they will now get me lined up with the radiologist to start the prep for radiation so that it can begin promptly in January. Also, on my next visit, we will discuss my hormone treatment. Radiation will last for 6-7 weeks. Hormone treatment lasts for five years. Otherwise, all my side effects are in the normal range. Side effects are getting worse and getting to be more of them. Do you really want to know? Mouth sores, fatigue, lightheadedness, nausea, heart burn, chemo brain, icky fingernails, dry skin, tingling/numbness in my hands and feet... I know there are more but just can't remember them. Every time they give me something to take to fix one it causes more side effects - anti nausea meds cause blurred vision, mouth sore rinse causes constipation, etc. Did you really want to know????

I think I am out of Kansas and getting near the foothills of the Rockies... but still have to go up over them before cruising down to the Pacific.

8 down, 4 to go.

PS Chemo next week is scheduled promptly (but not necessarily conveniently) at 8 am on Wednesday - I will even have to get up early!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...