Saturday, October 24, 2009

Call me confused

I am confused. Probably yesterday I was confusing as well because I was pretending I could function on minimal sleep. I did make it through the day with all sorts of adventures. But this is different.

The other day someone I know on Facebook posted that five years out, her doctor has told her she is cured from her triple negative breast cancer because she has had no issues. See this is my confusion. How could a doctor use the words 'cure' and 'cancer' in the same sentence other than to say 'we have no cure'? That's the whole point. There isn't a cure for this lovely ailment. I don't want to burst her bubble but I would be running fast away from that doctor to a good doctor who would tell me the truth.

I actually think it was very irresponsible of the doctor to tell her such a thing. But I wasn't in the room to hear the exact words of what the doctor said so perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment. I mean maybe she heard 'you are cured' when what the doctor really said is 'you have no evidence of disease'. These are very different things. If you have no evidence of disease, they can't find any of those little sneaky cancer cooties hanging out anywhere forming new tumors and growths. But that doesn't mean they aren't there - because they are sneaky.

But enough cancer business today. Actually, I am meeting some cancer friends for coffee where we will talk about chemo, radiation, hair, scar tissue, coping, recurrences and all sorts of fun things. But it will be fun.

Yesterday morning I did take half an antidepressant as I ran out the door and didn't not mutate into anything substantially out of the ordinary - or I am sure my husband would have informed me. Nor did I have any panic attacks, hallucinations, dizzy spells, or any of those things I was warned about. We went out to dinner in town and then to a comedy show. It was a nice evening and it was nice to get out. I even got some sleep last night which means I more closely resemble a human being today.

However, one disconcerting thing did happen yesterday. I got home and there was a message from the oncologist's office, with whom I have an appointment in two weeks. The message said they needed to reschedule my appointment wanted to know if I can come in on Wednesday. Well, which Wednesday? I tried to call back and finally got a real person at 4:58 pm (and they close at 5) who said she had no idea but to call her on Monday. Is my appointment being moved up to this Wednesday for a reason? Do they know something I don't know? Oncologists need to be very clear about these things so us cancer people don't start to think of all sorts of bad things... But I would never do that. I would NEVER drive my self crazy trying to second guess the mysteries of an oncologist. Ha!

1 comment:

Caroline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...