Monday, October 12, 2009

Sleep in a hospital - that's a great concept

So last time I was hospitalized, I did a 'fair amount' of whining about how little sleep I got because of the constant interruptions for vital checks, blood samples (apparently your blood is better at 5 am than any other time), and all sorts of interruptions. I have never gotten a good night's sleep in a hospital unless seriously sedated. And when I don't sleep, sometimes (but only rarely) I get crabby. Which means I am not a good patient as my inner evil b*tch comes through.

This morning's paper was pleasantly surprising - a local hospital has tried a study allowing patients to sleep for eight hours in a row and found it cuts down on sedative use. It takes a medical study to prove that letting sick people sleep is a good thing? Don't doctors tell us to sleep for eight hours a night? Then when you are hospitalized you cant because they need to check your pulse or something. Anyway, I am overjoyed to see that light is dawning on the medical profession that they should allow us to sleep as they recommend. (But I couldn't find the whole article online.)

Today I am up bright and early to go to work. The cat thought this was a find idea because his food dish was empty and he didn't want his dry food. He wanted a few bites of a new can of canned food. Walter is sleeping in. I will go out in the dark morning and go to work. And its cold. Apparently its in the 30s. So I have something else to whine about. Not that I whine all the time or anything.

1 comment:

shannon@to-goware.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing this journal of your experience living through this ordeal. My sister has just entered remission from cancer and I am holding my breath for the next five years for clean scans every time. BTW, have you ever heard of the Breast Cancer Fund, an organization devoted to exposing and eliminating the environmental causes of breast cancer? Which is amazing, as I don’t know of any other organization working on addressing the root causes of breast cancer. I work for a company called To-Go Ware and we provide non-toxic alternatives to eating on-the-go and support the stance that Breast Cancer Fund takes around removing products that contain toxins from our daily lives (mostly plastics). Just thought you and your readers would like to know that To-Go Ware is running the Together We Can “Beet” Breast Cancer campaign for the month of October, giving 10% of online sales to the Breast Cancer Fund. They are an amazing organization, doing vitally important work to educate folks about the toxins in our environment that are potentially causing breast cancer. I love that my and so many other companies are stepping up and supporting breast cancer research, prevention and survivors!And not just with kitchy, pink gear that is available only during the month of October, but things you can use every single day to increase the chance we have of avoiding all of these toxins in the first place. Let me know if you want more info for your readers. Have a lovely day today!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...