Friday, January 18, 2013

The medical roller coaster is not just about cancer

I admit I have been struggling in some ways for the past few months in terms of that lovely medical roller coaster. So often I think of the medical roller coaster as being focused on cancer - because cancer has such a 'fatal' 'terminal' 'deadly' 'life changing' connotation. I think 'life changing' is the best term here. A cancer diagnosis is life changing.

But also other diagnoses are also life changing. Like rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. When you are diagnosed with cancer, you usually look the same on the outside unless in active treatment. You do your thing - work, exercise, socialize - and have a life.

But with rheumatoid and fibromyalgia, you look mostly the same, might be moving a lot slower and hobbling around. But you are on the same damn medical roller coaster for a life long adventure.

The ways to calm down the medical roller coaster include knowledge, self education, exercise, and maybe even blogging.

I am coping with the medical roller coaster and I think I have been handling it worse than usual these days. I need to get my ailments under control both physically and mentally. I'm a work in progress here.

1 comment:

Laura (CTCA) said...

I hope you are feeling better, Caroline! I think 'life changing' is a great way to describe it. I'm rooting for you!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...