Monday, June 1, 2015

Hope

The one thing we all have to keep at all times is hope. Yes, hope. We all must continue to believe there is a rosier life out there for us.

But for a cancer patient, we must keep our hopes alive. What do I hope for?
  • A cure for cancer
  • My cancers do not come back
Two hopes. Nothing fancy. Two little phrases. Very simple. I work on these two hopes differently.

First I read medical research but do not obsess about it. I read about on going research and upcoming developments. I read about doctors' opinions of the research as well. I know not all research is going to help me. Some of the research may not pan out. Some of it will pan out but wont be available to patients for another 10-15 years.

But all of it gives me hope. I can see progress in the works to make sure fewer people go through medical misadventures, heal better, have a better prognosis, and lead healthier lives, even with a cancer diagnosis.

Second I do everything I can to make sure my cancers do not come back or reappear elsewhere in my body. I try to take care of myself. I go to the (damn) doctor as often as I should. I take my prescriptions. I go for suggested tests and other fun misadventures. I get exercise. I eat right (mostly). I do my best.

By being proactive in my health, it allows me to feel comfortable that I am doing all I can to make sure my cancers do not reappear. Or if they do, they will be caught early.

Hope is optimism and I need to keep it close in my life.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...