Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Friends

We all have our best friends, our close friends, our coffee pals, our nod across the street friends, and our sort of friends. Then us special people have our cancer friends.

I have two best friends, one from college who has lived 1000 miles away for the last 20+ years. We get together as often as we can, to cause trouble until about 9pm when we get tired and go to bed early. My other best friend lives about half an hour away. We can't get together to often because she has a big career and child and her husband works long hours as well. We do get together for lunch and shopping as much as we can. Both of them are the ones I call to catch up and talk about life.

But then I have cancer friends. They are the ones I get together to talk about life, cancer, and the havoc it has wreaked on out lives. They are also the ones we call when we have those momentary  cancer freak outs. You can't have cancer and never freak out. It's just not possible.

It doesn't matter how long it's been since you have talked to your  cancer friends, because they will answer the phone and tell you that you aren't crazy. They will virtually hold your hand at the worst moments in your life. Because they know you will do it for them.

What is the Saying? Hold your friends close and your enemies closer? It should be added that you should hold your cancer friends even closer. 

1 comment:

leah said...

That was really special. And so so true.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...