Monday, January 9, 2017

Accountability

I am a strong believer in accountability. I also often think that big pharma is not held accountable for the costs of their medications to patients and only to their stockholders. I have been following two cases on-going in the media. The first is the idiot Shkreli who raised prices on medications and smirked at Congress when asked about it.

The second case is the one of the CEOs of New England Compounding Center who is on trial for 25 counts of second degree murder as a result of the national outbreak of fungal meningitis in 2012 which killed 64 people.

"In 2014, federal prosecutors charged 14 former owners, pharmacists and pharmacy technicians of NECC in connection with the tainted steroids. The racketeering indictment alleges that pharmacists failed to follow industry standards for cleanliness, used expired ingredients, and failed to test drugs for purity before sending them to hospitals and pain clinics. It also alleges that employees falsified logs to make it look as if the pharmacy's so-called clean rooms had been disinfected when they had not."

These are not nice people who did this. I am glad their executives are being punished. Seriously. You cannot expect me to believe that the employees came up with this on their own. I am sure that the orders came from above to cut corners.

Executives who order people to do wrong should be held accountable for the results. I am going to follow this trial as it unfolds.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...