Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Gee, that was fun!

I had blood drawn, saw the doctor, and then my first chemo treatment. We were there at 815 and didn't leave until 1245. They said it was longer this time as it was the first visit. The blood draw was easy - little needle, 30 seconds. The doctor then said 4 rounds AC every two weeks. Then Taxol but because of the significant long term side effects of Taxol, instead of 4 rounds every two weeks, 8 or 12 rounds every week. This means more needles and probably chemo will end in December not November. However less chance of neuropathy - tingling/loss of sensation in fingers and toes - which sometimes doesn't go away.

Apparently these two drugs cause hair loss, nausea/vomiting, and low blood counts. Therefore I get prescriptions for two antinausea drugs to start tonight as well as go back for a shot for my blood count tomorrow.

The nurses were very nice and gave us all sorts of information on what to look out for and nutritional advice, etc. I think I have the same nurse each time.

So how do I feel? Okay, I guess. Not up to running the marathon or anything but not so bad that I would spend the day in bed. They pumped me full of all kinds of drugs - antinausea as well as the AC. I did eat a little lunch and want to take a nap. Maybe go for a little walk later on. I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...