Friday, August 22, 2008

Adventures in dining out

Around here this week, and last week as well, its Boston Restaurant Week (which really lasts two weeks now and some restaurants have the week last a month, but who's counting). Anyhow its a special deal with restaurants offer lower priced, fixed menus in an effort to get people to go out and try different restaurants they couldn't necessarily afford.

Last week we went to a seafood restaurant where the food was pretty good but the service just wasn't there. I mean you aren't supposed to have to wait ten minutes to be greeted after being seated, are you? Or, if you want to sell the specials you should tell the patrons before you say 'are you ready to order?' Or, isn't the wait person supposed to come over and ask how your food is a few minutes after you are served? Needless to say, while the food was good, the service wasn't and the wine was pricey. We probably won't return.

Last night, on the other hand we went to a different restaurant and had very good service and very good food. But I just don't understand how wait staff can take your order and not write it down. I understand the premise - they don't want staff scribbling and if they just walk over to the computer and enter the order, it should be no problem. But what if someone side tracks them before they get over to the computer and they have to try to remember what that table told them as opposed to all the other orders taken that evening.

When I mentioned this to my husband, he pointed out that the wait staff probably didn't have chemo brain or whoopsy brain and should have no problems remembering like most normal people. He also mentioned that he wasn't sure that my brain capacity would have been there for this previously - not that I was ever a space cadet but that perhaps I was at a low orbit. Personally, I am not offended by this. I do now have the perfect excuse for being a space cadet and will milk it for all its worth.

Even though we enjoyed our dinner and like eating out, I have learned that my gall bladder doesn't always like eating out. Its much easier to eat for a happy gall bladder at home when one controls what goes into the food than out at restaurants where too often they are full of oil and fats. Its not that my gall bladder hates me its just that it makes its presence known when I eat things it doesn't like. Well, only four more weeks of dealing with this and no more gall bladder (but who's counting?).

Yesterday, I actually got alot of work done. Today I will have to work hard again - I have a busy schedule. What's with this part time work business, work from home in your pajamas, if you have to work all day? I am supposed to be able to take breaks and do other stuff (including finding the cat after he sneaks out and takes a nap under the bushes in the front yard as he waits for more birds to land in his territory).

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...