Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Its all in the news

Forget the internet, we can learn everything we need by reading the paper and watching TV - just like we did before th internet. Last night on the news was an article on breast cancer recurrence rates. Basically, the longer you live, the less likely you are to have a recurrence. I am not so sure that is all that reassuring. As the article states, the risk never goes away, it is just reduced. And you have to get to that five year timeline first of all. Now actually they treat cancer as a chronic disease, not a terminal one. Can you get a chronic disease twice? Well I did.

Also on the news yesterday was an article about finding your personality when you get a cancer diagnosis. I totally agree with the author on this one. Its important to keep your sense of humor when faced with a medical diagnosis. It is also a prime opportunity to do something different with your life. (I wouldn't mind finding medical technicians who can put in an IV or needle on the FIRST try and not leave a big black and blue mark.)

Another article on the news this morning. The Unabomber is upset about the museum display of his cabin. He says, and I quote: “has obvious relevance to the victims’ objection to the publicity connected with the Unabom case.” I am not sure he is in any position to complain as he terrorized the country for 18 years and is now serving a life sentence.

A friend sent me this article the other day - on John Edwards narcissism. He had an affair, while his wife had cancer, and he lied about it. Other than the part about cancer, this just puts John Edwards in the same category as a lot of other politicians. He had an affair and he lied about it (when was the last time a politician had an affair and admitted it?). He is just getting more publicity and bad press over it because he ran for president while this was going on and his wife has breast cancer. What he really did is end his career and probably his marriage.

All that aside, this is just me procrastinating on going for a walk and not dealing with the fact I get to go back to the doctor today. Its a follow up with the radiation oncologist. I have my list of problems, medications, and medical allergies. I have a book as well. I need to go for a walk first.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...