Friday, August 29, 2008

The Two Party System At Home

Well maybe we have the three party system (the cat clearly belongs to the KT (kitty treat) party and is lobbying for the rights of indoor cats - especially to remove the barriers to allow them outside). Last night our one registered Democrat and our one registered Republican decided to watch the Democratic National Convention, together. (This will never happen again.) Our conversation was as follows:

"I'm going to throw up."
"Will you be quiet?"
"He said the exact opposite of that two weeks ago."
"I'm trying to listen to the speeches here."
"That's not a convention - its a rock concert with a few politicians."
"Look, SHUT UP."
And finally, "I'm going upstairs to read so I don't have nightmares." (well, I didn't say the nightmares part but I did think it.)

We had never watched a political convention together before. At the last election, my husband was mobilized in the army and probably conveniently out of town at the time. We will never watch another political convention together again. Its just as bad if we watch local access TV and see town meetings in progress... I think the two of us will unite and work to disband the KT party's efforts instead. And keep our thoughts to ourselves on the presidential race in the interest of pleasant conversation.

In the meantime, yesterday was a VERY frazzling day. I went to work (big mistake) and there were 21 phone messages from one day! It took me an hour to get the 21 messages because the (damn) phone kept ringing and I kept answering it. Then the phone rang nonstop all morning and there was a steady stream of people dropping by to register for classes and ask questions. I ended up staying later than I wanted, got home too late to do the work I needed from home. then I had to rush to go get my nails done because I had forgotten about that appointment. Then we went to pick up our new car. Finally, we settle down to relax and its the damn convention on TV!

Thankfully there are only a few more days for the Republican National Convention (which we wont be watching together in the interest of marital harmony) and then the world of TV watching will return to normal finally. For the past month, it has been Olympics, DNC and then the RNC. All our favorite shows have been reruns. When will the new fall season start? Soon I hope. (See being part of the TV watching problem again...)

Today, I have to work, get my hair cut (didn't forget that appointment), meet a friend for a walk, and then go out to dinner with another friend. I also have work from home for three different groups. Some how I will squish it all in. However, when I am busy and running around I don't get to obsess about the foods I can't eat because of my stupid gall bladder. But a friend yesterday did offer to eat fried foods for me so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...