Monday, August 4, 2008

I didn't catch any fish

But I had a blast! It was a great time. I wasn't sure what to expect. If you think about it, go off with a bunch of complete strangers and learn a sport that I had no interest in and stay at a religious retreat. Hmmm... Sounds kind of sketchy.

First I got stuck in traffic as you only can on the way to the Cape on a Friday afternoon in the summer. It should have taken me 1h 15 minutes, took me 2.5 hours. So I was all stressed out. I was told to be there at 4pm. Well, I was there at 5pm. Everyone was very nice and there were people later than me. the group was made up of 10 participants plus about 14 volunteers - some from the organization Casting for Recovery, and some previous participants.

We had introductions on Friday night and everyone there was a cancer survivor - most breast cancer. In fact, all weekend everyone was a cancer survivor except the reporter and the fishing helpers I think. Saturday we practiced casting on the lawn and then down at the beach. Sunday we went fishing with a helper - so we didn't fall in, give up, or get tangled up. I caught all the seaweed in the world. I also lost my first fly twice - we found it once. Then I lost my second fly twice but we found it again. (Then I lost it when I got home...) I also caught the same piece of shrubbery about 20 times. But no fish. I think they knew we were there and were in hiding. Other people, the volunteers who would fish in the mornings from 430-7am did catch fish.

All in all, it was a great weekend. It was great to learn something new and make a bunch of new friends - I do think I will stay in touch with them.

Now back to reality. But the important news is Walter is home as well which makes me happy - now I don't have to mow the lawn. But I do have to go for a walk this morning (don't tell anyone but I didn't really walk this weekend) and then I have to work from home, meet a friend for lunch and then go to work this afternoon. I have lots of work to do this week as well. It will keep me busy. I also have to break in another new doctor this week and go to the dentist. More on that later.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...