Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Contortionist in training

Just call me a contortionist in training. I went to the doctor yesterday about my back and she asked me to bend this way and that way, put my foot up, bend my knee, turn, etc. When does it hurt? Well all the time, that's why I am here. So she said go off to x-ray and we'll take a picture and see what's going on.

Well, it wasn't one picture it was seven - three of the lower back and four of the upper (or maybe it was three of the upper and four of the lower - I'm confused but that could be chemo brain). Anyway, first it was easy, lie on your back and don't move. But watch the breathing. Sometimes they said 'hold your breath', sometimes they said 'breathe in, exhale, hold it', and sometimes they said 'stop breathing'. Then, they made it more complicated, bend your legs up, or lie on your side with your hands in front of you.

But my favorite was lie on your side with the arm on top straight down at your side and the arm on the bottom straight up over your head. I asked why and was told this is done to make your collarbone move out of the way of the picture of the upper vertebrae. Now all this was done while they would push and prod me to the right position. It was more fun than I needed to have. I felt all contorted by the end of that visit. I get to call today to find out the results but maybe a back doctor will be my next visit. To further enjoy myself, I went to the mall and finished my holiday shopping. That was fun (except the crowds, my back hurting, and needing lunch).

Today, I am going to the gym before the big snow storm arrives and then I am going to get my nails done and drive home in a snow storm. What fun, can't wait. But I will have nice shiny nails. Maybe bright pink?

However today I am also confused. They are messing with time and this whole leap second vs. the atomic clock business is way too complicated. Either we have leap seconds periodically, randomly. Or we switch to this atomic time which will make noon occur at night in future generations. Is GMT obsolete? Do we really care? The clock tells us important things like when its lunch time, if its too early for the cat to have dinner still, and if we are late for work. Do we really care about leap seconds? Anyway, just remember at the countdown for 2009, to add an extra second in there - I guess that means 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, pause, Happy New Year! See how confusing this is? Every one stop for one second.

Anyway, Happy New Year! See you next year!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...