Thursday, June 12, 2008

Lies and the medical profession

No, this is not about the big deal things - does it cure this or that or cause fatal complications. This is about the other lies. Face it, we have all lied to a medical professional.

Do you really, really, really, really, really floss twice a day? Or you are human like the rest of us and have forgotten a time or two... or ten? But do you tell your dentist you floss every day? What about fried food and red meat? Of course you have a healthy diet! That steak and fries you had last week don't count when you talk to your doctor about taking care of yourself. You also exercise regularly. Well, you mean to. You talk about going to the gym or running or walking or whatever daily but do you do it? What do you say to the doctor? Yes, I exercise daily. See, these are all little lies we tell the medical profession without meaning to.

On the other hand, we get lied to in return. Some of my favorites are: 'The doctor will be with you in just a few minutes.' Thirty minutes later you are counting the holes in the ceiling tiles in the exam room wondering if they have forgotten you. 'You will only feel a pinch.' Yes, that light saber sized needle you stuck in me only hurt for a second. Or the slight variation 'Its a painless procedure as we numb the area first.' But you used those giant needles again. 'Any side effects you feel will go away in the next few days.' Did you mean weeks, months, years?

Lying just happens. Now sometimes we do stretch the truth for our own benefit. Yesterday, I caught my sandal and tripped and fell down (yes completely down but on soft grass and no one saw me and I only have a couple little tiny scrapes). If they ask me at the doctor today 'any falls recently?' I will probably say no. If I say yes, I get a little label in the system 'fall hazard' and if I am admitted for anything I have to wear a special bracelet (basically labeling me as a klutz), and cant get out of bed without assistance. Not that I plan on getting admitted any time soon.

This isn't to say that lying is a good idea. However, if I tell the truth on this one, it will make things more complicated for me. I will just deny it and pretend it didn't happen. This is a trick question and they don't always ask it. Basically, I know I am a klutz and don't need a label on my medical file to remind me. Also, I am not sure there is a cure for klutziness (any more than there is one for the common cold or cancer).

Going back to my previous sentence: pretend it didn't happen. Wouldn't it be nice to just pretend the past year of my life just didn't happen?

Enough about that. What am I up to today? Going to work and then two doctors at Lahey. What fun. Can't wait. But maybe my steri strips will get taken off. If they don't, they will fall off in the next day or two.

Also, now I don't have to be the technology wienie any more. The show I watch ended last night and I watched the tape this morning. It only took two tries to set up the VCR correctly. Maybe we need to invest in some easier technology before the next season starts in the fall.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...