Monday, September 8, 2008

Sound bite season

As we ramp up to October 'Breast Cancer Awareness Month', it is time to get ready for the over use of medical sound bites. This is really annoying I find. I mean 'they are so close to finding a cure' or as in today's newspaper is a big article on how looking at how cells change, they think they are on to something - but have been working on it for ten years and its still not finished. Or the latest Newsweek says 'Time to Rethink The War on Cancer'. All this research is going on but nothing is ready yet. Why can't they talk about the stuff that is available for treatment? They keep telling us great things are coming but you can't have them - its like playing Keep Away on the elementary school playground! Very frustrating for all of us.

Then the other thing is the media will grab on to their little sound bite and blow it all out of proportion and make it sound like its a big breakthrough. Grr. Grr. Grr.

Yesterday I went to a friend's wedding. It was a lot of fun. It was very tiring. I did something stupid - I decided to dance and have a good time. Then I got tired early and had to come home. If I had been smart and just around and talked to people, maybe I would have lasted longer. Anyhow, it was a lot of fun and I got to see people I hadn't seen in a very long time. I also met a friend for a walk before it. Possibly that contributed to overdoing it too.

Today I have to do some work at home and then go for a walk and then go to work in the afternoon. And recover from yesterday. Blah!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...