Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Today I feel...

Today I feel better, mostly. I slept pretty well and one of my incisions (the one with the bruise) hurts a lot, another one somewhat, and the other two seem to be minding their own business and just hanging out, which is fine with me. I managed to survive most of yesterday on Tylenol alone...

Yesterday I left the house - twice, in fact. First I went for a walk. I drove down the steep hill a whole block and walked on the flat bike path for 15 minutes and then 15 minutes back. A 30 minute slow speed walk (slower than OJ Simpson on an LA freeway with the entire police department in pursuit). My biggest concern when I walked is that I parked my car on the side of the road and opened the door. And there was a storm drain. What if I dropped my keys (particularly for the new car - I would have been in T.R.O.U.B.L.E.)? That would have been trauma. But I was good and kept them in my pocket. Today I will park in a slightly different place so I don't have to deal with that stress. But I am not sure how much faster my walk will be.

I also went to my support group which meant driving all the way to the other end of town (10 minutes) and seeing people - eek! But it was good to interact with the outside world. Then I was tired. Hmmm... I wonder why?

Yesterday I was surfing the internet - for a change. I found this article on CNN about how to handle 14 stressful situations. This led to another article on helping friends in need. From the patient's point of view, I think many people handle news of another's illness badly in that they don't know what to say or do so they say or do nothing. Or they say or do too much and (continually) stick their foot in their mouth. Everyone's illness is different (so whatever your hairdresser's neighbor's cousin's co-worker had is not the same as mine) and every course of treatment is different (ditto), so your telling me again and again what they had and how they were treated does nothing for me, even if another friend really appreciated hearing it.

Today I have big plans. After my walk and working from home (and you think I am in a rut), I am meeting a friend for coffee or something and going to the farmer's market for fish. (They sell really good fish at the farmer's market in addition to good veggies. They also sell beef, pork, chicken, eggs, milk, and cheese but I just want fish and veggies.) Perhaps I can consider house cleaning as well. Okay, I considered it. No, I don't feel that good. Housework could cause a relapse. I am sure I will find something else to do.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...