Saturday, November 27, 2010

Live out your dreams

There are people around us who inspire us. The latest in the line is the boy who at 11, had a brain tumor with a poor prognosis. He now plays foot ball. It was important to him to play because he didn't want to wonder what his life would have been like if he didn't play. And he wants to inspire people and prove anything is possible.

Another one is Jothy Rosenberg who with one leg, is an amazing cyclist. His blog is entitled 'Who says I cant'.

A bit more of a canned version of this is the movie 'The Bucket List'. Just because you are old and dying of cancer, doesn't mean it has to be dull and boring. Do everything you can while you still can.

At 19, I was told to go live my life as I should (not a good word in medical terminology, 'would' would have been a better choice). Then followed a long lecture of what not to do and to do - get plenty of sleep, eat a healthy diet, continuously monitor your health, get regular check ups, blah, blah, blah. Well I was in college, I wanted to stay up late and drink beer with my friends.

I thought about it and came to the decision that while I wasn't going to play in traffic, I was not going to live a boring life. I have traveled internationally, I have studied abroad, I skied off the headwall in the Rockies, snowshoed up mountains, bike riding, roller blading, went on Club Med vacations, climbed mountains and more. Next year I am going to Iceland. I can't hike, ski, snow shoe, roller blade, bicycle, climb mountains any more. But I can still walk, take pictures, experience a new culture, and have fun. Because I can.

Then when I come back from Iceland, I'll have to plan our next trip.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...