Monday, November 15, 2010

A very difficult decision

The most difficult decision for a patient is to reach the point of 'no more'. When it happens, it must be respected. This is also true of someone who wants to have a Do Not Resuscitate order in their medical file and living will. Basically an individual is saying its my body, let me do with it what I want.

It is a decision to die peacefully in a hospice or to keep fighting with chemo and treatments to the end. Or not to be surrounded by tubes and doctors and nurses but to be with family and friends.

A family member is sure to wish to change their mind and keep them fighting to the end. But if you have been told there is no chance or that there will be minimal quality of life, you must decide.

We all want to live as long as possible. But what happens when you don't have the luxury of living to your 90's? What if your health isn't as good? Or an accident happens? We all have approximately a 1% chance of dying in a given year. What would you want to be done if your number was up?

Every time I go in for surgery, I am asked if I have a living will and I can say yes I do. I guess what I am trying to say is don't wait until someone has to ask you your thoughts on this as it would be very difficult to bring it up, let someone know before hand.

1 comment:

BrettFavree said...

Back pain is one of the most common and painful. Y or suffer from severe back pains and my doctor prescribed tramadol. This medicine is not relieving me. Findrxonline Hydrocodone found in which the relief I felt great pain. You can buy online without a prescription, but with control of side effects.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...