Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chemo again or just semantics?

I have been emailing back and forth with a friend with whom I had lost touch. His wife had died a few years ago of pancreatic cancer.  I told him that I had RA which is why I haven't been around as much recently. He replied that he has a friend who is on methotrexate - which is a form of chemo  for their RA.

Eeek! I had not considered that Methotrexate was a form of chemo. I take it in pill form weekly so its not like I go for an infusion or anything. I looked it up on Scott Hamilton's Chemocare.com and found out its true.

The thought of being on chemo again had always freaked me out. I mean who wants a port, baldness, and nausea again? But they snuck it in on me. They said it was for RA treatment, they never mentioned chemo. So I guess its easier to cope.

My mother was on methotrexate, at a lower dose than me, for years, and we never considered it to be chemo.

Which brings up a point. If a drug is used to treat cancer, they call it chemotherapy. But if the same drug is used to treat something else, can't we just call it a medication for rheumatoid so I don't have to think I am on chemo again? Doesn't it come down to semantics here?

1 comment:

Buying ED Drugs Online said...

Great information. This works great for me. Thanks for sharing this.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...