Thursday, October 24, 2013

I am skilled

In the past few days I have had the opportunity to share knowledge and decipher the oncology department. It turns out hanging out in the Cancer wing gives you ins on all sorts of special information:
  • I know the receptionist - not just because she has been there since I started going there in 2007 but she also used to work out at the gym I go to where her cousin was a trainer. 
  • I could explain about the special amenities in the oncology waiting room - the lunch and snack trays that come through earlier in the day.
  • I know they do validate parking - its the least they can do for their oncology patients.
  • They have the nicest nurses and staff who regularly go the extra mile (I'm  not saying that other nurses and staff don't do this but there seems to be extra concern and caring in oncology - this may be due to the frequency of patient visits).
  • I know the best place to park which involves the least walking to get to the far away oncology wing.
  • I know all the credible online resources and which ones to avoid. 
  • I could spell most of the big words the hematologist shared with us.
  • I knew what questions to ask to get to the next steps.
So I guess cancer gave me some skills. I am an educated patient in some respects. And it wasn't about my health.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...