Friday, June 13, 2008

A new concept

Vay-kay-shun. Yes, vacation. I am going on vacation. Well, I am taking two trips. One driving this weekend to visit family and then return home to fly to the Midwest to visit friends. This is a new concept. I haven't been anywhere on a plane since a business trip more than a year ago - to Chicago when it was 7 degrees. Needless to say I think the weather will be a bit better now.

This is clearly a new concept for me. Things to take on vacation - lots of books, camera, bathing suit (well, maybe), brain cells, prescriptions. Things not to take on vacation - stress and medical worries. Things to do on vacation - eat yummy food (well as fat free as I can), stay up late (I will really try), get out doors, sleep late (not sure how well I will do with that), and have fun. Things not to do on vacation - go to see any medical professional. I will have to work on all of this to make sure I have fun.

I am really looking forward to getting away. I may not work full time now but I really need a break from everything. Walter gets to come with me on the first part but then he will be home by himself (well, with the cat) for the second part. They will just have to tough it out without me.

In the meantime, I have lots to do to get ready. I have to finish packing to leave today, which includes laundry. Then I have to sort of get ready for leaving again. We return Monday night and I have an early flight on Tuesday - mental note - find itinerary so I go to the right terminal at the airport at the right time. This means unpacking, laundry, and repacking as well. In addition, I have work to do, meeting a friend for a walk, and cleaning the house, watering the plants, and finding the damn list of everything else I need to do before I leave.

Yesterday's doctor appointments went fine. I was told my biopsy incision is healed up nicely. It was fatty necrosis - if you Google this you will find out it commonly occurs after breast surgery, sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn't but it is basically a benign condition. However, I get to go back for another mammogram in six months with another follow up. Wah! I want a doctor to say 'you are fine, come back in a year'. (They didn't ask if I had any falls recently so I wasn't forced to lie.) I did get to do lots of quality waiting. I had to wait about half an hour for a 2 minute appointment with the surgeon. Then I had to wait an hour for an appointment with my therapist. I was there for three hours. To recover, I went for a walk.

Well, I can sit here and play on the computer or I can get moving to get everything done this morning. I think I am slightly less inclined to procrastinate as I am going on vacation. Its not like a doctor visit or work, where the motivation is just not there.

I will have limited computer access while gone so I may not update anything but I will be back at the end of the month - just in time for another appointment!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...