Monday, September 28, 2009

I feel so rejected

Yesterday I was rejected by a gym. I saw their booth at the festival on Saturday and stopped by yesterday to get a tour. I expected to get the hard sell. I mean when was the last time you could walk into a gym and ask for a tour and not get a hard sell. (Its worse than going into a used car dealership and taking a test drive.) I didn't. They told me to come back after I get a green light from the physical therapist on my ankle. Maybe they are scared of my list of medical ailments. I mean I only told them about my back, ankle, partially torn ACL (result of a bad day of skiing), and shoulder (potential lymphedema) issues.

This is actually a fairly unique (read expensive) gym. It is owned and operated by physical therapists. When you join you get a full check out by a physical therapist and then a work out plan is custom designed for you by an exercise physiologist (now that's a fancy term). There is always someone around to help you or a mental boost if you need it. Also, every three months, they revamp your exercise program to where you are at that point.

With my back, ankle, knee, and shoulder, I have problems exercising. My ankle hurts when I bend it and I am trying to get it to heal. I can't lift anything over 20 lbs and my back also likes to complain about many different exercises. And my back has complicated issues for my hips as well. My knee doesn't like some cardio equipment. And I have to be careful about shoulder stuff because of potential lymphedema from my lymph node removal. (But that's it. I don't think I have other issues relative to exercise.)

I usually walk most days but had to give it up for a while. I can't lift at the gym because it makes my back hurt. And I also don't know how to use a lot of the different equipment and am chicken that I might hurt myself if I try. So I was rejected. But I will wait and see what the physical therapist says and maybe I'll join in a month or two.

Yesterday also my back was not nice at all. It was very painful. So evidently I have learned not to expect to do something on my feet for 3.5 hours and not be in pain for days after. Actually I should say not be in more pain for days after. My ice pack is my friend.

In the meantime, I am off to work for the day. Walter is leaving on a business trip this afternoon. By the time he returns, I will be off at my college reunion so we won't see each other for a week. This never happens. But kitty and I will deal (meaning we will develop bad eating habits and feel neglected).

1 comment:

Debby said...

Yeah, the local 'Healthy Women, Healthy Bones' group would not let me join either.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...