Sunday, September 27, 2009

Well, that was a fun day

But what was I thinking? I had a great time yesterday. I volunteered at our town's annual street fair for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life booth. I went early when it started with my husband and we hit the library's book sale and a bunch of booths and then had an early lunch. Originally I said I would be there from 1130 to 130 or long if my back held out. I was there until it ended at 3. To be fair it was crowded right up until the end because we had perfect weather. Well, unfortunately my back thinks I should have left at 12 or so because it is VERY unhappy today even though I iced it for an hour after I got home. I may need to call the doctor before my 3 month follow up if this keeps up.

Anyway, I had a great time talking to people. Its amazing, you stand in front of a sign that says American Cancer Society and people come out of the woodwork to tell you one of two things: 1. How great an organization the ACS is and what wonderful things it does. Or, 2. their medical history including the details of their cancer diagnoses or who they know who died from cancer. I was pretty astounded. But we got a lot of people signed up and informed a lot of people about Relay and how they can help.

In the middle of all the hoohah (and there was lots of that as we were almost straight across from the band), the local cable access station came over and asked if they could film a commercial and interview me. Now let me tell you how much time I spent on my hair yesterday. I took a shower and washed my hair, brushed it once and left the house. Three hours later with no hair brush anywhere near by, I was filmed to be on TV. I am sure I looked like I'm not sure what. And then I was told by the other volunteers that they show the clips from the interviews over and over again on the cable access. So there will be lots of opportunities to see me with bad hair. (But at least I have hair. Actually this might be one of my first possible bad hair days in a couple of years.) You can only see me on TV if you live in the same town as me and watch cable access TV.

The crowds were great and there was face painting and hair painting for the kids (and adults if they wanted). We gave out lollipops and stickers as well as info packets. It was a nice day outside. Today to recover I am going to do lots of nothing - which includes laundry and cooking and probably also cooking shows. My back hurts and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

3 comments:

Ann aka ButDoctorIHatePink said...

Sounds like a good day! I hope your back feels better soon. I'm sure you look great on TV - if it's posted online somewhere, make sure to put a link up!

Unknown said...

That does sound nice!
I love that there's a ton of cancer awareness events going on, especially during October. I stumbled across a company offering Breast Cancer Awareness banners with the pink ribbon symbol for just $1. Plus, proceeds go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. The banners are available here: http://www.shindigz.com/party/1-Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Banner.cfm and the code is:SZBCAM
Thought you might be interested!

Anthony May said...

It's great that you're so involved in the community and BC awareness. I really hope that more men join you ladies in this crusade. Actually, one of my goals of MenforaCause.org is to get men involved in these kinds of events, and particularly those aimed at breast cancer. We really have come late to the fight, but I believe that we come with strength. I hope you see more men get involved.

And, I'm sure you looked stunning on television. :)

Anthony

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...