Friday, November 27, 2009

Communications Malpractice?

This was an interesting article in today's newspaper about how possible those lovely 'morons' (and I use the term loosely) committed communications malpractice when they broadsided the American public with those lovely new guidelines last week. The article is quite interesting and comments on the way the information was delivered - as a bombshell - and now has created a lot of mistrust in recommendations. It ends in this: 'The evidence so far points to a backlash of mistrust. Memo to the next panel: Remember the old Hippocratic oath, first do no harm.'

I work in marketing which is all about messages and delivery. Its not just what you say but how you say it. The panel released their findings with no advance notice. They also gave their message and then the explanation of why. Perhaps if they had turned it around and said this is why we make this recommendation people would have listened. Instead, they didn't and everyone says 'wait, that's wrong, I've been taught this differently and now I have to change'. Personally, I cant follow all their math that 'justifies' their position. Its very confusing.

Okay, I'm done with orating for the morning. I am going to the gym to attempt to walk off my turkey and side dish and pie consumption from yesterday. I will have to walk millions of miles for that but I figure a couple is a good start. I will also ignore my back pain and pretend it isn't there. I have drugs to take and will take more.

Next I will try to figure out how to look 20 lbs thinner before my many year high school reunion tonight. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. But I am also trying to figure out how I am going to be on my feet for more than an hour or so without crumbling in pain. Drugs. Alcohol. Hmmm... No alcohol, but yes pain meds. Then leave early. Or some what early. Can I stay up that late? I have no idea. I have no life these days if I can't stay up to go to my reunion. All these dilemmas too early in the day. Time for the gym to work on the weight loss thing.

1 comment:

Debby said...

ooh! I got a free membership to curves, and let me tell you, I am going to use that!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...