Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Its Too Early

Today is Veterans Day. It is a day about honoring the soldiers. It is not the 43rd shopping day before Christmas. You aren't supposed to run off to the mall and shop until you drop. You are supposed to take time out to think about those who have fought in wars.

I used to work in retail. I understand why stores bring out holiday merchandise so early. Its simply logistics. For math purposes, say that they want to sell $100,000 worth of holiday merchandise this year. But their trucks only can hold $10,000 worth each week. That means they start ten weeks prior, which puts them in early October. This means they need to send their $30,000 worth of Halloween merchandise over the three weeks prior to that which brings it to mid-September. Once holiday (stuff with a date to sell by) gets in the store, they start pushing it as the newest stuff and try to start moving it. And if times are tough and they have fewer trucks to ship, maybe they can only put out $8,000 worth each week which makes it start even earlier. Does this make sense? Well, I tried.

Today, my husband has the day off. I thought it might be nice to spend sometime with him. How's that for a novel concept? We have a few plans that start with a walk (not a death march or he might be whiny) followed by Belgian waffles. I am not sure what else the day will bring but we'll deal with that when we get to it. In the meantime, I am off to do my damn ankle and back exercises and try to figure out why my back really hates me today. Ouch.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...