Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Another 'big cancer story'

Here we go with another big cancer story. Teresa Heinz, Senator Kerry's wife, has announced she has breast cancer. I appreciate the way she has announced it and her reactions, with that of health care professionals, on the new 'guidelines by the morons'. I am sorry to hear another woman has to go through this.

But I think there is a bit too much in the press in terms of details of her treatment. Do we need to know she had two sets of lumpectomies and the details of her radiation treatment? I am not sure. I don't know if she announced these details or some nosy reporter pried the information out of her, her representative, or bribed someone at the hospital. I think its a level of detail that is more than anyone other than my husband and doctors know about what I had. Isn't there any privacy left?

I realize that some people feel the need to talk about their entire treatment for a disease as it is a way of dealing with the emotions behind a diagnosis. But there are somethings I don't need to know about. I don't know Ms. Heinz and don't know her thoughts and rationale behind this but this is my reaction to the news this morning. I called this a 'big cancer story' because it is one I am sure that will be blown out of proportion by the media, make its round of the news show circuit, and never be left to rest.

However, if she can use her medical story to help with getting rid of the moronic guidelines, more power to her. I am glad she made such a statement to the Associated Press.

In the meantime, maybe you can call me cranky because I slept so well last night. I didn't fall asleep until at least 11 and was up at 130, 230, and 430. Maybe I should just hide under a rock today instead of being crabby to others.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...