Friday, December 11, 2009

On wine and soy

There is much in the news this morning. First of all, drinking wine increases your risk of breast cancer return. Well, obviously that's the case because its something enjoyable and cancer robs you of everything fun in life and you should live in a cave, eat vegetables, take your pills, exercise regularly, and visit your oncologist all the time. If it isn't fun, you can do it.

Further proof lies here where they are now saying soy is good for breast cancer survivors, which is a complete u-turn from what they used to say. If you eat your tofu (ick!) and live in a cave, eat vegetables, take your pills, exercise regularly, and visit your oncologist all the time, you will be fine. But I am not sold on this soy thing just yet. In the past, as the article says, if you had estrogen positive breast cancer you were told to avoid soy because (here's my medical knowledge kicking in) something in the soy mimics estrogen and feeds the cancer.

There have been studies all over on this and I personally am not sold either way. But I do know I have tried soy yogurt once and it was elmer's glue flavored, personally can't stand tofu, and think just the thought soy milk is weird (milk from seeds, go think about that one - maybe it soy juice) and can happily live without. I wouldn't mind an order of edamame every once in a while but that's about it. This is just the latest news and I'm not changign anything yet. If a study comes out that says a daily dose of tofu will cure cancer, I will start eating it (while holding my nose) but not much else will make me change.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...