Monday, December 14, 2009

More pills, less pills

My goal (and I need to have goals) is to reduce the number of pills I actually take. Currently I take a total of five daily prescriptions and have another four for when I want them. Plus I take over the counter antacids and a lot of vitamins. I am on a mission to reduce the number of pills I take. Just reading all the potential side effects alone has me wanting to cut back.

I have cut back on the doses on two of my daily prescriptions so far. But not the number of pills. There is no hope that I can cut out synthroid ever. But only 3 more years of tamoxifen or a switch to an aromatase inhibitor. I wouldn't mind getting off of the anti inflammatories and back pain medication but that is only a hope for now - I have to see how the next few months go. My anti depressant should go away some time but not for a while.

I did attempt to reduce the number of vitamins and got rid of a few but have to keep the calcium and vitamin D and multi vitamin. I tried getting rid of the antacid but the anti inflammatories are nasty on my stomach so I have to keep that one. I would love to recycle all my pill boxes.

But anyway its Monday morning and its winter but I am off to the post office first thing and then meeting a friend for coffee and another friend for a walk and then go to work. But our holiday cards are now done. Holiday shopping is now done. Now I can enjoy the holiday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline - found this blog while searching for some sites for a friend just diagnosed with BC. I am a BC survivor. That's not why I write. It's about my back. I had constant sacroiliac pain for a year, visited docs, surgeons, chiros, phys therapists etc etc. Nothing helped. Pain every day, especially when I was seated. Then someone who teaches pilates told me to buy a "wedge seat cushion" from a medical supply company. It is 3 inches thick at the back, and 1 inch at the front. At first it felt as though I would fall forward out of my chair. But within a week, after a year of pain, the pain was gone!!!! The cushion forces me to arch my back and sit up straight. No leaning back. I am sitting on it now - got one for my computer chair and one for my car. $33 dollars each. It was a miracle for me, so I think it might be worth trying for you. The price is certainly right. The relentless pain was very demoralizing. Thanks for your blog. Wendy

Cancer Care Center Abroad said...

Unfortunately, many diagnosed with cancer are faced with staggering drug costs, even though some of those drugs, especially Avastin, has shown great promise in treatment of breast cancer.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...