Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Some good cancer news?

The latest report is out on the fact that cancer deaths are declining overall. Well isn't that special? We've been 'fighting the war on cancer' for 40 years and now deaths are declining. I think its about time. Or this is my cynical evil twin speaking, 'what took so damn long?'

Anyway, there are two parts to this pile of information: diagnosis rates and mortality (the fancy word for death - go see this article for comments on that word) rates. Diagnosis rates have gone down 1% per year from 1999-2006. This is important it means people have cleaned up their life enough so they don't get cancer. But diagnosis rates are up for kidney and liver cancers in both sexes and thyroid, pancreas and bladder for women. Thyroid cancer is incresasing in incidence. When I had it there were about 10,000 cases nationally. Now there are over 30,000 cases nationally. So I am not sure we are winning any fights there.

The death rates have also gone down for the most common cancers: lung, prostate and colorectal cancers in men and breast and colorectal in women. Advances in treatment and earlier detection are said to be the cause for this. (And those 'idiots' said to skip mammograms - obviously this report was before their solid advice.)

Enough rambling for me today. Go read the article yourself if you feel inclined to be educated. I have to get my butt in gear and get to the doctor to discuss my pain issues. You know the ones I whine about from time to time. I want a new plan. I want action. I want to feel like a new me. I will be assertive. I will write his damn script - 'cortisone shots, PT, fractal block, upper back diagnosis, and replace lyrica with something else'. There, that's all I want. No I want a cancer free, size 8 body... but wait that's a different doctor.

1 comment:

genetic cancer testing said...

The causes of breast cancer are not entirely understood, although it is clear that a woman's age, gender and lifetime disclosure to estrogen and her age at the time of her first childbirth can play a vital role. Because, no one knows precisely what causes breast cancer, there is no way to avoid it just by diet or medications. However, there are steps that every woman can take that may make emergent of this cancer less likely.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...