Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I was never a believer

Okay this is not along the lines of my usual blog posts. But this news crossed my attention span this morning so it is my topic of the day. In my opinion the best antiseptics known to man are:
  1. Alcohol - Scotch and Vodka might disinfect your insides but I mean the kind for the exterior of your body.
  2. Soap and water.
  3. Mother's spit - when they spit on a tissue and clean their child's face and hands.
No where on this list is antibacterial soap. I never believed in them. I have friends who buy them by the caseload and use them to disinfect everything in range. They use antibacterial soaps in their kitchens and bathrooms and use antibacterial wipes on everything else.

I never believed in them. I always thought they were either too harsh or creating mega germs. It was a marketing ploy. "We have the really good soaps, they kill more germs so you must buy them".  I think of the antibacterial wipes as just moving the germs around....

Now the FDA wants the soap manufacturer's to prove it. There are concerns about some of the ingredients affecting humans:

"Further, some data suggest that long-term exposure to certain active ingredients used in antibacterial products -- for example, triclosan (liquid soaps) and triclocarban (bar soaps) -- could pose health risks, such as bacterial resistance or hormonal effects."

About 2,000 individual products contain these products, health officials said.

"Our goal is, if a company is making a claim that something is antibacterial and in this case promoting the concept that consumers who use these products can prevent the spread of germs, then there ought to be data behind that," said Dr. Sandra Kweder, deputy director of the Office of New Drugs in FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

"We think that companies ought to have data before they make these claims."

Studies in rats have shown a decrease in thyroid hormones with long-term exposure, she said. Collecting data from humans is "very difficult" because the studies look at a long time period.

Yes if they say something they should be able to prove it. I'm glad I was not a believer.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...