Thursday, April 1, 2010

12 Shirts Worth of Optmism

The other day, while my husband was out of town and I was left to my own devices, I went shopping. I only went because I was done with work for the day but too early to go visit my friend and her husband. So I went to the local mall. I parked conveniently in front of Nordstroms, a store I prefer to walk through and admire the shoe department but not purchase anything.

I rambled through the mall and ended up at JC Penney where they had all sorts of enticing Sale signs. Then there was a display of tops on sale. They were nice. I grabbed a couple to try on. Then I found some polo shirts too. Then I realized I really should be over in the Petites department so I moved there. Turtlenecks at an amazing end of season price that made them affordable to upgrade/replace existing shirts and not feel guilt. In the end, I had 12 shirts. I somewhat appalled myself. But then I said why not, I am feeling good about this. I need to clear out some old worn clothes and replace with newer ones.

After I left, I was thinking about my purchase of 12 tops at one time. This is some kind of a record for me. I am not much of a shopper usually. Occasionally I can go on a little spree but usually it doesn't interest me much. In the past three years, I have barely set foot in a mall, much less to wander around and shop. Also, there has been the nagging thought, why buy clothes if I am going to be feeling too bad to appreciate them. And I'm too fat for new clothes.

But this time, I feel good about it. I feel like I need some optimism in my life. I will lose some weight. I will feel good enough to want to wear something new. Now the weather just has to change from turtleneck weather to spring top weather and I can enjoy them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It is amazing what some new clothes will do. Love you...Judie

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...