Monday, January 7, 2008

Another trip to Lahey!

What is a day without a trip to Lahey? Tomorrow is my 'down' day. It is the only weekday between now and the end of February I won't I have to go to Lahey. Gee, what a novelty. I haven't been there since last Thursday either! I might miss the place.

I did do some research on hormone therapy. Well, about time. I mean my appointment is this morning. What that did is to make me thoroughly confused. There is one drug, Tamoxifen, that has been around for about 40 years and is well regarded and used for pre and post menopausal women. Then there are these new drugs, AIs (Aromatase Inhibitors) which are used for post menopausal women - or thats what all the documentation I have seen says. But the clinical trial the doctor wants me to try is for premenopausal women and compares Taxmoxifen vs an AI and tests the variable of ovarian suppression (which is another topic to discuss with him). But if AI's are for post menopausal women, why would they give it to premenopausal women? This is a Phase III trial which means it has been around for a while and already shows promise. I am all confused. I need the doctor to explain this to me in little itty, bitty words so it might make sense to my limited chemobrain.

In the meantime I am not going to worry about that. I am going for a walk. Yesterday, I had a big brunch with friends and need to really get into the exercise plan. We also are having our January thaw. That means it was 36 degrees this morning. Last week, one morning it was 4 degrees. I went to the gym that day. Today I am walking outside in the brisk, fresh air. Counteracting the flabbiness caused by holidays, ice cream, and bacon.

I think I do need to clarify these wonderful gifts we got. Bacon of the Month Club is one pound of bacon delivered in dry ice to our door each month. (No we won't share. Don't bother asking.) This month was hickory smoked and quite good. Ice cream of the month club is four pints delivered every three months. Basically its a pint and 1/3 each month. If it was four pints each month, we would be getting a little chubbier. This delivery consisted of 1 pt butter pecan (gone), 1 pt. egg nog ice cream (gone), 1 pt. peppermint stick (mostly gone), and 1 qt. sheep's milk vanilla ice cream. We are very undecided on this. I think chocolate sauce will be needed for that first bite to make sure its okay. I mean I have had sheep's milk cheese but not ice cream. Most unusual. When we get really brave and try it (which will be as soon as we eat all the other ice cream we have), I will let you know.

Not to digress but after my walk, I go to the doctor and look for OMWAHs in the parking garage. I haven't been to the parking garage for a couple of weeks but I don't think they have disappeared. All my recent visits have been to Peabody or to the evil little parking lot where I 'have issues' and am turning into a 'problem visitor'. The big parking garage is the OMWAH homing center and very different.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...