Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Did you?

Did you stay up until midnight? I did, if you count midnight in Iceland. I was up until about 1030pm local time. I was tired. That's my excuse. But it was already midnight in Iceland so I celebrated there. If you made it past 7 pm Eastern time, you made it to New Year's in London, which is the same as Reykjavik (but I think it is a little more exotic than London and I wouldn't mind going there sometime. I have been to London many times.)

We just got back from Vermont. They have lots of snow there. It did rain on Saturday so it was a bit 'crusty'. We snowshoed on Sunday and didn't always leave tracks.

What we did do is eat. We ate so well, we don't deserve to be hungry until sometime next week. We ate in expensive restaurants that served yummy food. We had two bad dining experiences in cheaper restaurants. We stopped for lunch at a diner on the way up that featured local food. Well, we think they went out and grew the lettuce for my salad or something. You know your food is slow in arriving when the diners at the next table, who arrived a good ten minutes after you, are eating their food before you get yours. And they turn to you and say 'are you still waiting to eat?' Then you know its a poorly run restaurant when they tell you the kitchen was really busy which is why our food was late. (They should at least come up with a better excuse.) Well, we now know where NOT to stop on our next visit to Quechee. We also stopped at another place for lunch and ordered: beverages, soup for each of us, and an appetizer to split for our 'main course'. The food arrived in this order: soup for Walter, beverages, water (on the second request), our appetizer, and then my soup (on the second request). Another place not to stop. Maybe its just the town both were in - the Twilight Zone of poorly run restaurants. (Can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?)

On the other hand, you know you are at a really good restaurant when the waitress serves the child at the next table his meal, and tells him his vegetables are not touching anything else on his plate... Now we have eaten out enough that I no longer feel like it has been forever since I have been to a restaurant. I now want to cook and eat my own cooking.

We did stay at a nice little bed and breakfast in Woodstock. They said they have a cat who didn't go to the guest rooms. Well, this cat apparently didn't know that. I met him the first night we were there, he was sleeping downstairs. Then when we arrived for breakfast on our first morning, it was like home. He was sleeping on Walter's chair and had to be relocated. Then Monday afternoon he stopped by our room to say hello and again this morning. But he doesn't go to the guest rooms.

Needless to say our cat is mad at us. He ate the food left him, including the food he doesn't like. My brother and niece stopped by to feed him while we were gone but apparently it wasn't enough. He is very needy. I think he knows Walter made friends with another cat as he has been following me around. He will get over being mad once he gets to sleep on Walter for a couple of hours.

We did enjoy ourselves and got away. I did learn I am still not in good shape and get tired but I got to go play in the snow. Now I just have to rest up for three doctor appointments tomorrow. A new year and now I have to start paying the co-payments again. We maxed out our health insurance in September and I haven't paid a penny since then. Darn. Now I will have to stop being so cheap. As Walter carefully reminded me, it probably won't be too long until we max it out again! Not something I am looking forward to but then my cheap nature will take hold.

We did have a really nice time and it was nice to get away. Even if now we have to diet. (I hope they don't weigh me at all my doctor's apointments tomorrow. It won't be pretty!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there -

Just found your blog through a circuitous route. Intrigued, inspired, entertained, enlightened.

I'm having uni-mastectomy with immediate DIEP at the Brigham early Feb. Just wanted to say hello and best wishes.

- Eliz

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...