Sunday, January 13, 2008

Red Alert!

Red Alert! I feel my brain returning. It has been many months but I do feel my brain returning. Not that I am about to let go of my chemo brain excuse. I feel that will be valid for many years. However, I feel my brain capabilities are returning. I no longer have the inability to remember what I did 30 seconds ago. I feel I can actually remember what I did ten minutes ago. See what a vast improvement!

In addition, I actually feel like a human being and don't get the really, really tired feeling as often any more. For months, I would get that really crappy (like when you just had the flu and feel awful even though you no longer have a temperature and really just want to crawl into a hole and die) feeling every day even if I didn't do that much. Now I don't get the really crappy feeling, I just feel tired. This is great progress. This will last for a few weeks - maybe three until radiation fatigue hits. Then I can go back to being really, really tired but perhaps the really crappy feeling wont return. Unfortunately, yesterday I went for a walk, visited my mother, went out to lunch with friends, and did a little shopping (but didn't buy anything - does it count as shopping if you don't buy anything or is it just browsing?) and came home and ended up lying in bed for an hour watching lame TV. The worst thing about watching lame TV is when you find that all the channels you like are showing reruns that you have already seen too many times or just didn't like the first time around. I ended up watching the snow board boardocross championships. It was actually pretty cool. Not as good as giant slalom or Super G races but better than I expected.

Now that my brain is returning I am going to run out of excuses for watching lame TV. A real test of my brain's return is we had a lot of things to get done around the house yesterday so we made a list. A really big list. We lost the list. We are doomed. We tried to recreate it. It is definitely missing some items. Luckily it looks like we will also be home tomorrow with 8-12", 10-14", or 12 - 16" of snow expected overnight (depending on which TV channel you are watching) so we have one more day to remember what we meant to do and get it done. It does look like a snow day with the snow starting around 3 am and continuing into mid afternoon.

This overhyped weather forecast means that everyone in metro Boston today is going to the grocery store. I would like to go get some butter because we are really almost out (and I forgot to buy it yesterday - see my brain is returning but is not yet perfect) and in fact might have to eat dry toast tomorrow if we don't stop but if the grocery store parking lot looks too crazy, I am not going in. It will be a like a feeding frenzy. Everyone running around with carts piled high of bread, milk, toilet paper, soup, and frozen pizza because it will be too snowy to go out tomorrow and what happens if they declare a state of emergency and you can't get out for days and have to cook over the fire place when the power goes out because its going to be a big noreaster that the media is blowing out of proportion and will snow lots and lots and stay tuned because they are going to up their forecasts of snow amounts as the storm gets closer. I can take a pass on that as I really only need butter and we can eat dry toast if needed. Besides kitty has enough treats to last him a few months.

If the weather is really bad, I won't make it to my crisping appointment. This means I will start stretching into March. I knew this would happen. The never ending appointments. Well to relieve this potential stress (even though I will get to avoid the %^*&^*(@#$$% parking lot), we are going out for our morning death march. Walter doesn't believe me that the bike path, which has been plowed all winter, is perfectly clear and he can go running. Yesterday we hoped the bike path would be clear to Lexington due to last week's thaw. It wasn't. It was definitely a skating rink in places. We saw two lucky gentlemen who were on their road bikes with nice skinny tires who dismounted at the beginning of the ice and proved that bike shoes and ice just don't mix. This morning I will prove Walter wrong and then have bacon (of the month) for breakfast.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...