Thursday, January 10, 2008

I survived the parking lot

Yesterday's score: Caroline - 1, Parking lot - 0. First I pulled in and had to reach over the machine to get my ticket. Because of the angle of the entrance and the fact I come in the back way, I always end up too far away and have to put the brake on and open the door of my car to reach my ticket. Well, yesterday I managed to be close enough not to have to step out of my car as well! (However in reaching over, I managed to floor the accelerator on my car.... Oops!) However this is step one in beating the parking lot - just getting into the damn lot. Then when I left, I specifically asked is my ticket validated so I don't have to pay and was told yes. I tried to leave and the stupid machine says 'unable to read ticket' which is what happened to me last time. Darn it! I did try again and it worked. I escaped!! Yippee! Now I just have to go back 33 (or 34 or 35) more times....

Actually yesterday I was confused. (Or maybe perhaps I was confused by the staff at the radiation department.) It was not my first radiation treatment. It was just x-rays to make sure everything is lined up correctly - my (tattoo) dots are in order so to speak. (In addition to a radiation blast every day, I get x-rayed every week, see the nurse once a week and see the doctor once a week. I am confused about x-rays vs. radiation. Maybe I'll ask today. Aren't they basically the same thing?) Today, I finally have my first treatment. Now I do know that I have to be there at 330 pm every day. But I still don't know how many. They will give me 25 treatments (until February 13) initially and then at the end decide whether it is 8, 9 or 10 (until Feb 25, 26, or 27 not that I am keeping track or anything) for the boost - when they aim at the area the tumor was in originally. That's it. Leave me hanging. I don't mind! Just a little more something to stress about. According to Walter, I always have something to stress about and this is just one more thing.

Now that I am finally beginning this my life can get in to a new rut. Get up and go for a walk or the gym. Go to work for a few hours. Rush over to Lahey to get there on time. Come home and make dinner. (Perhaps if I schedule making dinner every day we will get some extra fancy food. Tonight is flank steak with salad and sauteed mushrooms and oven roasted carrots and potatoes. It will be much better than last night where Walter had a meeting and I had a conference call so I had low fat Cheez-its, a piece of cheese, and ice cream for dinner.) Well that will be my schedule except Fridays and school holidays when work isn't open, Tuesdays when I go to my support group, or any other day when I have a doctors appointment or something. So maybe its sort of a rut. How about a 'rut for most days but not all'. Its better than boring.

Today's plan (surprise, surprise, surprise) is to go for a walk, go to work, and go to radiation. But you knew that already. Maybe I'll start glowing later today. I will report.

Now the cat is already being irritating today. He is disarmed - we trimmed his claws last night - but he is a pain in the neck. I tried to sew a button on a sweater this morning so I could wear it. Evidently I was wrong. It was not a spool of thread but a cat toy. Grrr!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...