Friday, January 11, 2008

Two days in a row

I beat the damn lot. I got in and out without trouble. However there was a security guard hovering near by. I wonder if they recognize me already... Hmmm... Must I go into stealth mode? (Speaking of stealth mode, I observed another OMWAH driving maneuver - the stealth stop sign. If driving 5 mph, there is no need to stop for a stop sign as you are already under the radar and in stealth mode. Just keep going and hold your speed. Everyone will stop for you... Especially in the Lahey parking lot! I am not sure I would try this elsewhere.) One advantage to the nasty little parking lot (that I am currently beating) is that I can see the entire thing when I pull in and observe any potential OMWAHs and stay far away from them. It is very small - 20 spaces? - with only one entrance (hence my problems) but is an area of frequent OMWAH sightings.

I am getting smarter every day. I learned two things yesterday. First, those lovely Dr. Seymour Butz gowns (a/k/a johnnies) come in multiple sizes and I am a medium. Upon arrival at radiation, you check in and then go to the cupboard and get your own johnnie. Everywhere else I have been the nurse always hands one to me. Here I can select my own. Wednesday I contemplated the size range. I really don't think I am an XL. Being pessimistic, I tried the large. While it did cover me and not leave anything 'exposed' (not that I have much modesty left these days - there are some BC patients who believe they could pay their medical bills if they charged $1 per peek through the duration of their treatment) but it was slightly oversized. Yesterday I decided to try the medium and thought it fit quite nicely. Not gaping but not too tight. If you think about it, the nurses must go through a lot of training to eye ball a patient and say 'they must be a medium/large/extra-large'. I think I have almost always been given a johnnie that fits. They must be highly trained.

The other thing I learned yesterday is the difference between radiation therapy and x-rays. Well first of all the x-rays they take for say a broken bone, at the main diagnostic radiology department, are very different than the x-rays taken in the radiation therapy department. I am not sure why but was told it was highly technical. (Not being highly technical, I decided I can live with that kind of description and be happy and feel informed.) However, in the radiation therapy department, they use the same machines to take x-rays and deliver radiation therapy. The difference there is the x-rays are lower Kv than the radiation therapy and are a shorter period of time. I feel smarter already.

The cat also feels smarter. Yesterday morning he was assisting me in matching and rolling pairs of socks by playing sock-soccer after he had warmed up with my spools of thread. This immediately evolved into sock-soccer-basketball when he gave a pair of socks a whack and they flew up in the air and landed in the wastebasket. He gave me one of those looks like 'what do I do now?' I said to him 'I bet you couldn't do that again if you tried.' (Yes, I talk to my cat. Doesn't everyone talk to their pets?) His response was to go look for something to eat downstairs.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...