Thursday, May 21, 2009

Is it time to rename my blog?

When I first started my blog, I called it 'Caroline's Cancer Blog' because I was all freaked out and convinced that cancer was running through my body. Then I changed it to 'Caroline's Breast Cancer Blog' because I got to focus on only one cancer mostly. But now that it is somewhat resolved (or as resolved as any cancer diagnosis can be - which is never really gone, just currently not being treated, but still hanging over your head), is it time to rename my blog?

Should it be 'Caroline's Whiny Blog'? I mean I know I whine a bit (and more than a bit if you ask my husband for his personal opinion). But is it now more appropriate because all I do is whine about my continual medical ailments. Perhaps it is a little negative.

Or it could be 'Caroline's Crabby Blog' because I talk about being crabby as a result of my medical ailments. Back pain makes one crabby. Cancer makes one crabby. Gall stones, gall bladder surgery, MRI's, blood tests, and waiting for doctors to call back all can induce crabbiness. But again perhaps it is a little negative.

Maybe it should be 'Caroline's adventures in the medical world'. Or would that imply that I am a medical professional? Which I am clearly not. I am merely a not so patient patient.

It certainly shall not include the words 'Cancer Survivor' in the title because I am not a cancer survivor. I survived a lot of medical appointments (27 so far this year, 79 last year, and 55 in 2007 if you are keeping count - is there a frequent shopper discount card I can get?) but I am merely a cancer person or someone living with cancer. It doesn't go away. It lurks in the background (or did I already say that) for the rest of your life. (Note: The only reason I know how many medical appointments I have had is I keep a spreadsheet of all medical expenses so I can deduct them on our taxes - because I am cheap.)

I guess I need to think about this some more and get back to you.

In the meantime, yesterday was an okay back day - meaning I wasn't in a lot of pain by the end of the day. But I did wake up in the middle of the night and realize that there was no way I was getting back to sleep without taking a pill. This morning my back (lower, middle, upper) and neck are instituting a rebellion of some kind. I will do what I always try to do - and ignore them until they make my life miserable and then take a pill (and hope it doesn't make me too loopy). I am meeting a friend for a walk and Thai food and then going to work for the afternoon.

Yesterday I did get a lot of work done. My aunt called me to see about getting together and I couldn't because I had too much work to do. She said I always write about work but never say what I do. I am a marketing communications professional to use fancy words. (In layman's terms it can be said that I make junk mail and spam... Well, sort of, but not really, the goal is to find the people who want to receive the stuff I send out before it goes out.) I work for two small companies on a contract basis and for a local community ed program where I layout their catalogs among other things. I start a new job next week doing marketing for a small company who sells personal protective equipment (air masks, knee pads, etc) and scientific instrumentation. So I do lots of stuff. Sometimes I go to work and sometimes I work from home in my tidy little office (with the cat begging for treats at my feet) in my pajamas.

Speaking of the cat, his mobility is decreasing but is ability to beg for treats, food and water has not. His real problem is I haven't found any more catnip flavored treats for him. They are his current favorite (yes he has favorite foods) and we ran out. I will find some today. I think that's the least I can do. We should all eat our favorite foods frequently. Even if they are unhealthy. Life is too short not to enjoy what we like, but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...