Sunday, June 16, 2013

Unplugging

It is the easiest way to fill in free time these days. Go online, watch TV, read your ereader, text/call on your smart phone. I know I do it.

I come home from work and am exhausted so I sit down on the couch, turn on the DVR and watch one of my many recorded shows, sometimes I even play games on my ereader at the same time or text on my phone. Three pieces of technology at one time.

I go to the gym to destress and exercise and either bring my mp3 player or my ereader and watch TV while listening to music or read during commercials. I grab my ereader for waiting in doctors office where I used to bring a book. My husband one time laughed at my in the car as I juggled my cell phone, GPS, and ereader all at once on my lap.

In the morning we automatically turn on the television to get caught up on the news and I boot up my laptop to catch up on blogging, email, facebok, twitter, and anything else that crosses my mind.

How much technology is too much? That's too much.

I want to step away from technology. I spend too much time on the computer, ereader, DVR, phone, GPS, and TV.

I am working on changing my ways. I am back to reading more books in book format. I actually went to the library this week and took out four books. I have read most of one already (and then I got an email that books I was waiting for are now available so I downloaded three more on my ereader.)


So, I pull out my knitting and sit and enjoy it without the TV on the in the background. I read books with no noise going on. I 'forget' to bring my cell phone places. I leave technology behind. And I find I like it that way. I will do more of it.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...