Sunday, September 7, 2014

I still hate tofu

I really dislike tofu. I mean if its cut up in a bowl of hot and sour soup that's fine. But I never order tofu in restaurants. Also due to the ongoing debate about soy and breast cancer, I am find standing my ground on not eating tofu.

And now there is more research to show that soy is bad for women in treatment with breast cancer.

"Adding soy to your diet in the form of milk or tofu, pictured, could speed up the rate at which breast cancer cells spread in those women already diagnosed with the disease, scientists have warned. 

The findings led them to conclude the soy protein could potentially accelerate the progression of the disease." 

The study was done on women who had been diagnosed with breast cancer and before lumpectomy or mastectomy.

"Jacqueline Bromberg, co-author of the study, said: 'Although the genes were being expressed, it is not clear that this will translate into actual tumour growth.

'But the concern is that there may be the potential.
'Only 20 per cent of those patients who took the soy had really high levels of the genistein metabolite.'
She said the reasons behind the disparity are unclear, adding that there is no way to predict who would have this reaction after consuming soy."

So there is no way of knowing if you have the reaction after consuming soy. so that keeps me off the tofu diet.

You can read more about this study here.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...