Thursday, July 7, 2016

Changing Stressors

As life goes on, my stressors have changed. Or maybe just the list gets rearranged. When I first started blogging, breast cancer was my primary concern. But then my health started to fall apart and things have changed.

At my breast cancer diagnosis, I quickly prepared myself to cope with breast cancer and I came up with a plan - support groups, etc. And I dealt with it. 

Then I got gall stones and had my gall bladder out. Then I found out I should be seeing an endocrinologist about my thyroid cancer which made it harder for me to ignore it. When I went to one she sent me for an ultrasound which found some thing on the thyroid bed which we had to follow and it stressed me out for a while. Then my back started hurting. then I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid... Somewhere in there I got a root canal too....

Where am I going with this? I had lunch with two breast cancer friends this week. One of them has  multiple other current health issues. We were talking about them and she said that breast cancer was the last thing on her mind these days. She needs to get the rest of them fixed so she can back to worrying about breast cancer.

For me, my stressors now revolve between what is my current worst (usually health) problem. It can change daily. I sort of hang on during my roller coaster ride. 

So how do I cope? I have created my own little support world. I burn off stress by going to the gym three times each week. I have a therapist I see monthly. I have a meds therapist (with the good drugs) to keep me sane. I have a weekly knitting group at a local cancer center. We all are coping with cancer. I also get together with my other 'unhealthy' friends and we hang out and talk bitch about our health concerns.

Since I can't be healthy, I just try to keep my sanity. If at all possible.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...