Monday, July 25, 2016

Heeding Advice and Enjoying Life

With any ailment, you get advice. Some of it is nice, sane, logical, and seems plausible - like rest, hydrate, elevate, ice it, if pain starts - stop what I am doing, etc. This is possible. You can do it. And some of it, not so much - keep elevated for at least 30 minutes out of each hour or at least 5 portions of fruits or vegetables with every meal. Really? I can try for that. And finally, some of it is just plain impossible - lose 30 pounds or non-weight bearing at all times for six weeks or anything that is just too restrictive to handle.

My point is I get a lot of advice from my doctors, and a lot of other people. I selectively heed it. I mean if I listened to everyone I wouldn't have a life, I would be really boring. And there is a point where I just can't do any more.

I have made the following life changes in recent years:

  • I gave up smoking. I never was a heavy smoker (5 cigarettes a day) but I did smoke for a long time. 
  • I exercise three times a week. I get 60 minutes of cardio and then 30 minutes of weights and resistance training, followed by stretching.
  • I try to eat healthy. Fruit and vegetables are a big part of my diet. I also skip packaged food as much as possible. I avoid desserts and a lot of sugar as much as possible. I skip salt as much as possible.
  • I pace myself and get rest and make sure I do not over do things. 
  • I take my medications as directed, go to my doctor appointments, and listen to my doctors.

But there are other things I am not going to give up:

  • Wine. I like drinking wine. I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner. I do not go bar hopping (in fact I can't remember the last time I went to a bar). But I like a glass of wine.
  • Red meat and bacon. I don't eat bacon cheese burgers all the time. But a nice steak on the grill or bacon for breakfast sometimes is nice.
  • Gardening. I have been told not to sweep, vacuum, rake, mop, lift weights, bend down, or carry things. But I love my garden. I want to grow my garden (more healthy veggies). I can get myself in a lot of pain by gardening. So I leave all the heavy lifting to my husband but I get out in my garden every day I can.
  • Bad TV and romance novels. Why not? Its my brain (or what's left of it) to rot.
What it comes down to is I need to be able to enjoy my life. I want to enjoy my food and drink. I want to do things I like to do. I can't be boring.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...