Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Think before you pink

This is October which is breast cancer awareness month... Also known as sound bite taken out of context month. It doesn't seem to be quite as bad this year because there is lots of news from the political campaigns and those pesky little problems in the financial markets so the media isn't looking for sound bites as much. They don't need to make up news because there is plenty of news out there.

However it is sell all sorts of pink stuff in the name of breast cancer month. Haven't you always wondered how much of what you pay actually goes to whatever the cause is? Sometimes they advertise it and sometimes they don't. I just found this website www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org.

It raises some very good points about buying pink products and criticizes 'pink washers'. An example is cosmetic companies which encourage you to buy their products so they can raise money for breast cancer research. But some of their cosmetics contain ingredients which have shown to cause breast cancer. Hmmm... Maybe they should encourage people to buy other non-carcinogen containing products. Another interesting on they raise is 'click for free mammograms'. How about 5 MILLION clicks for 129 free mammograms? Something wrong with this math? Anyhow, it does contain a list of questions you should ask before donating, buying or clicking which I found to be very helpful.

I think I am finally recovering from my social life. It helped that I got in bed yesterday at 830pm. I was tired. I see no shame in going to bed at a little kids time frame. I will swipe the cancer card here if I need to but I am not going to. I feel better today which is good because I have another over-scheduled busy day. I have a therapist appointment, scheduled phone call, work from home, job interview, and support group. I also have to figure out what to where to the interview, what questions to ask, and maybe go to the grocery store.

Yesterday, I was at Radio Shack for a watch battery (complicated story but the watch store didn't have a battery so they sent me to RS to get one) but they tried to sell me a $350 Acer laptop. It was tiny. I might buy one. I need to do more research. They do not have a DVD drive so you have to put all your software on flash drives to install. Anyhow, it was very cool and if I get a little more work I can justify buying one.

Oh, about the doctor visit yesterday. That's the whole reason I was near the mall. I am sure you were only reading this far to find out what the doctor said. This was a follow up with my oncologist. He said I am doing well and healing. He originally said he would see me in three months but since I am seeing the surgeon in a month, he can wait four months. What's wrong with six month and annual follow ups? But there is a chance I can go three whole months without going to the doctor. That has not happened since April 2007.

I did also ask him so what's my prognosis, what's the follow up deal? He said that he doesn't believe in doing lots of tests and stuff unless there are symptoms to test for. Which I agree with - they cause stress and lots of additional anxiety (which I don't need) and drive up medical costs. But because of my medical history, I will get lots and lots of follow up visits to see how I am doing.

I also asked specifically since I have now had cancer in my lymph system twice, whats my prognosis. These are considered two separate occurrences and basically I lost the crap shoot of life on that issue. No real cancer history in the family so I was just 'special' and got the medical issues. Its interesting that if you ask your doctors point blank questions like this they will give you answers. But if you don't ask, they don't tell you. Basically they consider me to be recovering well. No guarantees made but I am okay for now.

Wow, I am blabbing on and on today. Maybe I should quit now before you all nod off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline,

Share your breast cancer experience with the world either at a article/ post on our website http://medicainfo.com

or with the blog http://medicainfo.com/blog


Help others to save their life

Best wishes

Team

Medicainfo.com

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...