Sunday, February 17, 2008

I am blaming chemo brain

Its my excuse and I am sticking to it. I had stated previously that the effects of chemo brain seem to have worn off but I am taking back that statement so I don't look like a total idiot. This was my day yesterday.

I went for a walk and decided to call my brother and talk as I walked. My cell phone battery was basically dead because I had forgotten to charge it for a week. This is an issue I have raised in the past. A cell phone won't work unless it is charged. You would think I would understand this by now and remember it. Obviously not. Therefore it must be chemo brain.

While I was walking I stuck my water bottle in my coat pocket so I had my hands free to talk on the phone. Apparently the top wasn't closed all the way on the water bottle so it dribbled water down the side of my coat and on to my pants. Since it was so cold out, I had a little frozen cascade of ice on my coat so I didn't notice it until it was too late - in other words, a lot had spilled. Again, this is something I have been trying to remember for sometime - make sure the little snap top is securely closed. It clearly must be chemo brain.

I went to take pictures of the beautiful flowers I got for Valentines day. It took six tries to get a picture in focus. And that was after I had to change the battery in the camera because once again it was completely dead. These aren't new issues for me - dead batteries and out of focus pictures - but you would think I would get it by now. However again it must be chemo brain.

Finally, I was doing laundry. I put the wet clothes in the dryer, cleaned the lint filter, turned on to the proper setting. And walked away before I pushed the start button. This isn't a difficult task - turn the nob and then push the button. I mean how hard is this? Well clearly chemo brain strikes again. That is four times in one day.

Anyhow, I am sticking with my excuse of chemo brain for the next few decades. I think it is a valid reason now for being an idiot some time. If anyone doubts me, they should feel free to go through chemo and see how their brain functions afterwards.

Yesterday, after my exciting walk we celebrated Valentines day. I got flowers and a box of cookies from a local bakery. (Walter got a computer game and a card. The cat got nothing - well just some treats.) I then prepared for going out to dinner by watching Gone Baby Gone on Netflix. It was actually pretty good. For dinner, we went to a local Italian restaurant where we both had politically incorrect but quite yummy veal with tiramisu for dessert. Today we are eating substantially less and will be healthier (once we finish the cookies) as we are going for a walk and then to the diner for brunch. Dinner will definitely be low calorie and healthy as long as my chemo brain doesn't make me forget that!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Chemo brain is a very handy explanation (excuse) for these brain malfunctions. I like to use it often myself.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...