Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I have been simulated

No, not assimilated like the Borg on Star Trek. Yesterday they did a simulation of my next set of crisping sessions, more commonly known as the boost. These focus on the 'surgical cavity' and use electron instead of photon radiation. (There's your medical/physics lesson for the day.) They won't go as deep into the tissue either. Just trying to zap any remaining nasty, evil little cancer cells in the surgical site. Unfortunately, as this is more surfaced focused, I might end up with a little round sunburn/skin issues area.

First was chemo to focus on my whole system for the short term. I am also on hormone therapy for five years to use hormones to go after the evil little buggers (just think of cancer cells dying off due to "hormonal issues'). Then was full radiation for a more localized approach and now its time for the little ray gun to focus on an area, judging from the size of the purple circle they drew on me with a Sharpie marker, that is about 1.5" x 3". Yes, I have a purple indelible circle on me. I can't use anything like alcohol to take it off because of the current sensitivity of my skin. I just have to see how many showers it takes to make it go away as I gently rub it. I can't even scrub it - again due to skin issues. I will just be partly purple for a few days.

Anyhow, today is crisping #25, a/k/a the last full crisping. They are very impressed with how well my skin is holding up. Anyway, tomorrow starts the first of 9 ray gun zaps. That means that Tuesday February 26 is my last crisping. However before we jump up and down and celebrate, the day after I have a follow up with the GI doctor and the day after that I get my port out. So finally, February 29 should be the first day in months that I don't have the joy of going to Lahey Clinic on a daily basis. I simply will not know what to do with my time! But I am sure I will find something.

Now, here is something to jump up and down and celebrate - the freesia I am forcing are finally starting to bloom. I had almost given up on them this year but one of them opened up yesterday. There are several others with buds so there should be a full range of colors in the next few weeks. They also look quite nice next to the cyclamen which is also blooming quite happily. I was having an experiment this year where I reused the same freesia bulbs as last year and planted them a month earlier. Apparently, freesia don't bloom until February regardless of when you plant them. Also, I don't think all of them will bloom. Anyhow, it is nice to have flowers and greenery in the winter.

Yesterday, I never made it to the gym. I am definitely going this morning. I had ice cream again last night and a corn muffin in the morning. Today I will attempt to eat healthier (banana for breakfast so far) and get some exercise. The problem is you eat nice healthy meals and get some exercise and then you are starving so you end up blowing your diet on something less than healthy (wheat thins yesterday afternoon as well). Then you are forced to go to the gym more and you get hungrier. Its a vicious cycle! How to break it - give up eating or exercising??? Which one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give up eating...it is too much work. No, wait, give up exercising...that is too much work. No, wait, learn to be happy with the body you have (hah!). Let me know what you decide.
XXOO Judie

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...