Sunday, June 7, 2009

National WHAT Day?

Today is National Cancer Survivors Day. Well, lah-di-dah. What if we don't want to be part of it? First of all, I really dislike the word survivor. It is a label (as I have said many times before) and I think it implies that once you become a survivor, you are over it. Well, in cancer-speak, they say things like - remission - where cancer is inactive or no evidence of disease - which means they didn't find anything. But they never say cured... because there isn't one.

I did mention this to my husband and he said 'Happy National Cancer Survivors Day, honey'. I replied 'thanks, but I hate the word survivor'. His response was too true 'well, its better than unsurviving'.

So anyway, I digress. I dislike the label but though I would check this National Cancer S-word Day out. Well, I can't find anything. There apparently are events but you have to call and ask someone. I did call and got a nice recording that said they are unable to take my call at this time. Obviously I won't be attending an event. I can't buy any merchandise either because I am not registered. And merchandise needed to be ordered by April 3. So much for National Cancer S-word Day. I can't find an event, I can't order anything, I haven't seen ANY announcements about this until yesterday on all my cancer websites (and believe me I waste a lot of time on them). I guess I'll find something else to do with my day.

This means more time for gardening, going for a walk, a little shopping, and taking care of the cat. Poor kitty. He really doesn't get around well. Very distressing. But he is eating like a pig (when is focused on eating his canned food, he makes little grunts as he eats). So he may not have much quality of life but he is pretty funny.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...