Friday, June 12, 2009

On being nice

Yesterday, I don't think I was being nice. I mean I tried to be nice all day but lack of sleep, back pain, and too much to do contribute to relative crabbiness. But also I was confronted with sales help who are clueless. I met friends at a local bakery which has little yummy individual souffles for breakfast - which are awesome (and a secret addiction). But when I got to the register, there weren't any. I asked and they said they were in the oven and would be ready in five minutes. I said fine, I would get tea now and come back up when they were ready. 20 minutes later they were still not out - even though I saw them come out of the oven so I went back up to ask. Apparently, they were letting them cool and wanted me to wait another 15 minutes... I might burn myself on them if I got one too soon. If they weren't going to be ready for half an hour from when I first asked, why didn't she tell me.

Next I stopped into a local furniture store as I had 20 minutes or so before I had to go to work - long enough to window shop in a store but not long enough to do much else. I was looking around and a nice person asked if he could help me. I asked about a piece that was marked with a sale sign but not a sale price. He said he would get a sales person who could answer my questions because he was the visual display guy and didn't know detailed price info. Ten minutes later he was surprised to find me still wandering the store with no sales help so he said he would find someone to help me. Then another five minutes go by and the sales person tells me she will be right with me. Then I see her selecting stuff for another customer so I start walking towards the door.

Finally a sales person comes up to me as I am about to leave. I said to her 'I am looking for a love seat and/or twin sleeper but now have to go to work'. She said she would print some materials out for me to take with me. I said fine but I have to go to work now. She starts printing, and then answers questions for co-workers, and then prints some more and then talks to other co-workers. I said I have to go to work and don't have time. Finally I get information, go running out the door, and am late for work. So now I have furniture information, no desire to go back to that store, which did have really nice stuff and a sale starting this weekend, but their sales people don't get it. Customer service, hello!!!

I was a tad overscheduled because I had to take the cat to the vet in the AM and pick him at the end of the day, in addition to everything else I had on my calendar. They checked him out and he is better. His blood sugar levels are almost too low so we had to readjust his insulin intake and go back in a couple of weeks to check again. He has gained back a pound of weight so he is up to 12.5 which is good. There is a chance, we won't be able to stabilize his blood sugar levels, which would be very bad.

Yesterday my back was somewhat cooperative (meaning it didn't hurt badly all day) and I got a fair amount of sleep. I was exhausted by the end of the day and never got out for a walk.

In the meantime, I have to get moving today because it is pouring rain, there are accidents on the highway, and I have to get to work on time so I can leave on time so I can meet a friend for a walk on time.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...